Tuesday, June 18, 2013

2013 Races Thus Far...

...I'm not going to lie.  I intended to start this blog in January when I embarked on a journey to run 13 half marathons in 2013.  I looked at a calendar today, and it appears to be June 18th.  While I love to think that I have an amazing memory, I can't possible write a complete coherent race report on races run thus far.  So hear goes.  2013 races run thus far in 50 words a piece or less:

Number One: Polar Dash
Date: January 12, 2013
Packet Pick-Up: Congress Hotel Downtown.  Do not try and park there.  Ever.
Race Day: Unseasonably warm.  Like 50 degrees.  Rode bike to start so didn't have to worry about parking.
Race Course: Small out north for ~ 2 miles, then out and back on the south end of the lakefront trail.  Turn around was just shy of 47th street.  I don't hate this course, I've just run it a billion times on training runs.  I don't remember water stops being an issue.
Finish Time: 2:20:44 (10:45 pace)
Swag:
Don't be jealous of my running medal holder.  Or fooled by that Get Lucky Medal.  Food poisoning = 7K, not 21K

Would I do it again?  Probably not.  Weather is a crap shoot.  Boring course.

Number Two: Chi-Town Half Marathon
Date: March 24, 2013

Packet Pick-Up: Some running store over by North and Kingsbury.  Parking was hellacious.  Have someone drop you off and come back for you.
Race Day: Unseasonably cold.  I also remember it lightly precipitating and being really miserable.  Drove to start by Lincoln Park Zoo so paid a billion dollars for parking, but it was convenient.
Race Course: Loopty Loop around Lincoln Park and the Lake.  Didn't go south of North Ave or north of Foster.  I was really miserable the entire time.  Passed my car around mile 5 and almost packed it in.  But I persevered!!
Finish Time: 2:37:46 (12:03 pace)
Swag:
I hate this t-shirt so much
Would I do it again?  Hell no

Number Three: Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon
Date: March 30, 2013.  AKA My half fanatics qualifying race

Packet Pick-Up: Dick Pond Athletics in the Northern, Northern Suburbs.  Thank you Mr. Sharkie for working in the burbs and picking up my packet!
Race Day: GLORIOUS.  Like 50 degrees.  Drove to start and parked car in neighborhood.  Bunny hopped across a 6 lane street to starting line.
Race Course: Small out and back in a parking lot for ~ 2 miles, then out and back on a paved forest preserve trail.  Or as my friend and I say - we ran to Ikea and back that day.  A lot of people were looking for bathrooms on the course.
Finish Time: 2:28:11 (11:19 pace)
Swag:
Yep.  Those are shorts.  Sweet!

Would I do it again?  Hell yes!  I'm doing it EVERY YEAR!  If only to pretend like I'm in the hunger games with the egg hunt.


Number Four: Indy Mini Half Marathon
Date: May 4, 2013
Packet Pick-Up: Convention center in downtown Indy.  I almost freaked out in there like it was McCormick Place.  But then I realized my hotel was across the street.  Worked out fine.
Race Day: Slightly humid, otherwise fine weather wise.  Walked from hotel 2 blocks to start line (here, here sponsor hotel!!).  Found the half fanatics picture, then headed to my corral
Race Course: Pretty much a run to the Indy track, a lap around the Indy track, then a run back to downtown.  This was shortly after Boston, so there was increased presence of police officials.  TONS of water stops.  Like every half mile.  Which was good, because it was humid.  Also, if you're going to stop to use a bathroom at the race track, you don't have to use a port-a-potty.  The actual bathrooms are open.  What's not open?  The BBQ shacks on the track interior.
Finish Time: 2:26:44 (11:13 pace)
Swag:
I really enjoy this medal.  And being too lazy to figure out how to take a pic without a shadow.
Would I do it again?  Yes!  Possibly on my way to do the flying pig half next year!


Number Five: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
Date: May 19, 2013
Packet Pick-Up: The new Universal Sole at Lakeshore East.  I think I ran there and back.  I hang out there all the time now because of marathon training.  So no biggie on this one.  Others find it annoying.
Race Day: Unseasonably warm.  Like 70 degrees.  Rode bike to start so didn't have to worry about parking.  Really confusing set up.  Had a hard time finding the start line (didn't realize it was on the lake, not at Lakeshore East)
Race Course: South on the lakefront for 6.5 miles, then north on the lakefront for 6.5 miles.  I get it, you can't close the path.  But maybe you shouldn't merge your course into a 5K fun walk?  PR attempt was damaged!  Also, it was really warm and there were lots of struggling runners without any visible medical personnel on the course.
Finish Time: 2:21:14 (If you don't calculate my pace for me race results page, I'm too lazy to do it here)
Swag:
I dragged this t-shirt out of the donation bag to take this picture.  It sucks THAT bad.
Would I do it again?  Nope.


Number Six: Northshore Half Marathon (aka PR city!!)
Date: June 2, 2013
Packet Pick-Up: Some running store right next to Pequod's Pizza.  Mmmmmmmm.  Pequod's Pizza.
Race Day: It was warm while I was in my car.  And warm while I was walking towards the start.  And then it dropped 20 degrees and started drizzling.  Don't worry.  The announcer said it was going to stop in 15 minutes.  Or 11 miles.  Whatever.  I like running in the drizzle.  Parked my car in a neighbors
Race Course: Really nice neighborhood running tour of Highland Park.  I saw a billion houses I wanted to buy.  And ran up a huge ass hill.  All in all, pretty awesome!
Finish Time: 2:16:40 (10:26 pace)
Swag:
Lunch Box City!

Would I do it again? Absolutely!!

And there you have it!  2013 in crappy pictures I took on my counter at home!



No comments:

Post a Comment