Sunday, June 16, 2013

Marathon Training. Week One!

I spent most of this week feeling like it was the first week of school all over again.  It's getting humid out?  I'm digging around in cabinets for body glide?  Wait?  Does body glide expire?  It must be time for marathon training!

This is the fourth year that I've trained with CARA for a fall marathon, and every June I get those same jitters I used to get when school was right around in the corner.

Nightmares of not being able to find the meet-up?  Check!  Being unable to choke down anything slightly solid at 5:30 am?  Check!  Why do my socks NEVER match.

I can't help it, I love it!  Must be that whole glutton for punishment thing.

I'm happy to be training for both the Chicago Marathon and the New York Marathon this year.  My not so secret goal is to complete all of the Marathon Majors, and I'm starting to run out of major marathons that I don't have to qualify for (cough cough Boston).

So without further ado, I present... MARATHON TRAINING.  Week one!  Spoiler alert.  It also features a taco crawl.

Monday: Run 2.5 miles to Universal Sole new location.  Try not to buy half the store.  Argue that I don't need a training guide since I'm on foot.  Run home.  Total time spent: 60 minutes

Tuesday: 50 minutes strength training

Wednesday: Run 1.4 miles into thunderstorm.  See HUGE bolt of lightning.  Run home.  Get high five from doorman for running in a thunderstorm.  Total time spent: 28 minutes.

Thursday: MAJOR air conditioning fix failure at rental place.  Too stressed out to exercise.

Friday: We'll just call this the day that work imploded.

Saturday: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!  6 mile training run with CARA.  Total time spent:  1 hour, 7 minutes.  Not including the time I spent buying more fuel at Universal Sole.

Sunday: 45 minutes of conditioning at the gym.  Sweat like crazy.  Feel SO much better.

Overall outlook: Exciting!  I'm excited to get to know my training group over the next 18 weeks, and hope that we have lots of fun memories!

Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment