Tuesday, October 15, 2013

12 Seconds and a PR. Chicago Marathon Race Recap!

On October 13, 2013 I ran the Chicago Marathon.  It was my third overall marathon, and by far the greatest I've felt both during and after a marathon.  I had a not so secret goal of finishing the marathon in "something starting in a 4," and got SUPER close to that goal.  Do I smell a revenge marathon in my future??

The short version: I finished in 5:00:12, an almost 20 minute PR over my 2009 time!

The longer version:

Packet Pickup:
I went twice!  I had arranged to go with a friend from CARA training on Friday evening since I wanted to save my wheels for Sunday.  We took the CTA to McCormick place which ended up taking a very long time since traffic was so horrific.  We finally got the expo and picked up packets and t-shirts very quickly, then wandered around the expo for about 45 minutes or so, which was just enough time to give my self a stomachache at the Power Bar booth.  I seriously can't resist free samples.  After wrapping up at the expo we took the free school bus from McCormick to Roosevelt and then I took the Green Line home.  All in all, about 3 hours total.

Upon arriving home on Friday evening, Mr Sharkie begged me to take him to the expo on Saturday morning so he could get his packet even though he wasn't running the marathon.  We drove to McCormick place on Saturday morning at 9 am sharp, scored free street parking, and dove right in.  All in all, about 1 hour total.

Definitely do Saturday AM packet pick up if you're in town!!

Race Day:
Following the traditional poor night's sleep before a marathon, I woke up around 5:45, got dressed, and headed down to the Hilton for the CARA VIP Marathon Experience.  Everyone who participated in the program this summer had free entry to the Experience.  It was set up in one of the banquet rooms in the Hilton basement and was a warm place to meet up with the group, drink a little water, and check bags in a hassle free environment.  I ate a Larabar, and we headed out to the start corrals around 6:45 or so.

The start: Amazing job with the corrals Chicago!  Very different from 2009 where everyone was wandering around all over the place.  We were in corral H, and crossed the start line at around 8:15 or so.

The first 5K (34:50, 11:19 pace): The first 5K felt much less crowded than in previous years.  Yay for a wave start!  I was running with ~ 5 runners from our CARA group and for once we didn't start too quickly.  It was eerily quiet for the first half mile or so, with no spectators on Randolph like usual.  I also got a nice glimpse at all of the fun signs, mostly saying that we were running better than Congress. Take note, Mr Sharkie - I'd like a giant sign of my noggin the next time you spectate a marathon.  Mr Sharkie and gang were hanging right at the 5K mark, so I got my high five, and headed into the second 5K.

5K-10K (34:11, 11:00 pace): out of downtown, and into the zoo!  This part of the marathon went by really quickly for me.  We were still all chatting, and I kept running into people I knew.  There were also some pretty cool bands right by the entrance to the park.  I was still adhering to my water, gatorade, sport beans for water stops and felt nice and hydrated.

10K-15K (33:45, 10:52 pace): FINALLY headed a direction other than north.  At least that's what I starting asking very loudly for once we got to a couple of blocks south of Addison.  This is also one of my favorite parts of the course.  Great crowd support, fun dancing (anyone else "jump around"), and you're still not too tired yet.  Mr Sharkie and friends were also at this stop to say "hi!"

High Fives are Fun!


15K -20K (34:28, 11:06 pace): Back into downtown!  Elvis!  More dance party!  This is also a fun part of the course.  I always love running into downtown because there are a TON of spectators.  I also had hit my 4th best half marathon time of the year with a 2:24:49!

20K-25K (35:02, 11:23 pace): Headed west!  Mr Sharkie and gang were supposed to meet me at mile 14, but they had a CTA snag, and I ended up being too fast for them!  The trip west can be a little lonely at times, but a ton of folks were out cheering at charity village.  I was headed towards mile 16, and I spotted Mr Sharkie and gang!! With the pooch!!  The pooch was pretty excited to see me so I stopped and loved on her for about 45 seconds (this becomes important later).  I peeled myself away from the pooch, and headed into Greektown.  It was about this time that my left ankle started to feel a little wonky.  Every half mile or so, just for one step, it felt like my ankle was going to give out on me.  I'd wobble a little, right myself, and keep going.  I don't have any soreness or anything from it, so maybe just a little race day nerves?

Best.  Cheerleader.  Ever.


25K-30K (36:40, 11:49 pace):  Land of the shot block fail.  My number one rule of marathoning is not to take anything new on race day.  Fail.  I stole some shot blocks from Mr Sharkie, which should have been fine, but I neglected to notice the little coffee cup on the shot blocks.  Stupid caffeine!  I got pretty nauseated during these miles and had to stop, walk a little bit, and collect my thoughts.

30K-35K (37:47, 12:10 pace): Now I'm getting hot, too??  It was around 12 pm at this point, and the sun was starting to wear on me a little.  I was working on keeping up with the 4:55 pace group, but lost them at one of the water stations.  I knew that I needed to finish by 1:15 to hit the 5 hour goal, so I started doing a ton of math, figured it was still possible and worked on picking up the pace!

35K-40K (39:03, 12:35 pace): Number two regret of the marathon - not taking beer from the Hash House Harriers at mile 23.  Next time?  I swear it felt like I was running faster than this, but that always seems to happen during the last several miles of the marathon.  I remember hating this stretch in 2009, but I was so focused on staying ahead of the 5 hour pace group that I didn't even notice the lack of crowd this year.

The finish! (14:16, 10:28 pace): Negative split!  I dug deep and hauled my a$$ up Mount Roosevelt.  Slightly annoyed that some chick named Erin (that's what you get for putting your name on your shirt, Erin) was running up the left side of Mount Roosevelt yelling at EVERYONE in her way.  Lady, you're the one who's running, maybe you should go around all of the people who just ran 26 miles?  I hit Columbus and high tailed it to the finish.  I knew that I was super close to sub 5, and knew that I would have to wait for the results to see.

I began the slow shuffle to the exit, grabbing my mylar blanket (too hot!!), medal, water and a banana.  I decided to skip the beer, just wanting to go get my stuff and head home.  I made it back to the CARA gear check, got my stuff and rode my bike home (and excellent cool down, btw).

I met up with Mr Sharkie and the gang for post marathon drinks, which I would also recommend as an excellent cool down.

Beer is good.


Overall: Amazing experience!  So much better than my first marathon.

Would I stop to pet my doggie again and risk losing 12 very important seconds: YES!  She was like a high five times a million!!

Next up: Monster Dash!

5 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't hit the wall writing the blog post! I'll be waiting to read the rest (There is more right??)
    Congrats on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such an idiot!! Apparently "save" and "publish" aren't the same button??? At least someone out there is reading this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, finally got back and read the revised version! those few seconds to pet your dog totally killed your chances at full internet points right??
      Congrats on a great race!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the PR and enjoying doggie love! Enjoyed the read and very confident there will be a "4" in your future for that first digit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Although disappointed that I didn't break into "4" territory, I still had an amazing day and more fun than I probably should have had while running a marathon :) You're right! I'll get 'em next time.

      Delete