Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Greetings from the IR!

So I'm officially on the injured reserve following the great running wipe out of 2013 yesterday.

Instead of sitting around worrying about my amazing technicolor knee, I've been killing time thinking about the following:

1. Does anyone else out there think that Runner's World is a far superior publication than Running Times?  I don't even know why Running Times comes to my house, but the content is a little too professional speedy running for me.  Maybe I shouldn't complain about things that come for free?

2. Anyone else out there wonder when the marathon registration bubble is going to burst?  Registration attempts at the Chicago Marathon crashed the server this year and Big Sur sold out in less than 24 hours. For that matter, would anyone like to race direct a marathon with me?  Because there is certainly the demand out there.

3. Has anyone tried the Breyer's Flavor Blast Thin Mint Ice Cream?  If I can't exercise, you can bet that you'll find me on the couch eating ice cream.  Priorities.

4. I am entirely obsessed with this beer:

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager.  Freaking Delicious.


Like so obsessed that I bought 12 bottles at a tasting dinner I was at that really wasn't supposed to be selling beer.  Abita only makes it once a year, and it's really hard to find up here.  I've been rationing my supply, so should be good for the next day or two.

That's all the silly thoughts I have for now.  Hopefully I'll be back to writing about running in no time!

2 comments:

  1. The marathon bubble is crazy! Its like trying to order that hot deal item online on black Friday. I Imagine more races will go lottery/qualifying and charities might thrive too with more spots?

    Over the last few years, my alcohol consumption has dropped a lot, but having spent time in New Orleans, I <3 Abita

    Hope you get off the IR soon!! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm plus/minus on the whole lottery and time qualification thing. One of the greatest things about the Chicago Marathon is that everyone gets a somewhat equal chance at registration. Hopefully Chicago will beef their server up for next year, to make the process less insane. I've also noticed a ton of issues with third party registration companies versus just running your own process. I can guarantee that I'll be supporting a lot more of the "smaller" non-corporate races in 2014.

    ReplyDelete