Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Napa to Sonoma Race Recap!

Yesterday was the 10th edition of the Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon, and my second time running it, so go me for running 20% of the Napa to Sonoma Half Marathons!

I'll be posting on my overall vacation in a separate post, but the half marathon itself is so awesome, it deserves its own post.

The basics:

1. Race registration: a giant pain in the a$$.  It took Mr Sharkie 6 hours and a lot of words I can't post here to secure race spots.  But we got in!

2. Packet pick-up.  Easy location, about a mile from where we were staying.  Could be pretty difficult if you don't have a car.  They also had early pick up and race day pick up for those of you with $20 extra dollars.  Let it be noted that there was a bonus timing chip attached to my bib.  The 16 year old working the table couldn't tell me what that was all about.  I think this becomes important later.

3. The swag: super ugly white t-shirt, a virtual goody bag, and a wine glass you can fill again and again!!

I'm pretty sure the medal doubles as a coaster


The race:

1. Parking:  I set the alarm for 4:40 (I know, right), and we were headed to downtown Sonoma.  We snagged an awesome free spot, and hit a shuttle to the start line.  This race starts between Napa and Sonoma, and runs back into downtown Sonoma, so you pretty much need someone to drop you at the start (total cluster) or hit a shuttle.

2. The start:  ~ 3500 runners lined up in no particular order.  There were tiny signs designating pace, but other than that it was pretty much a free for all.  The race started about 10 minutes late (minor race pet peeve), and we were off!!



Miles 1-3:  this course is pretty hilly if you're used to Chicago flatness.  The first half mile is straight up a hill, and then the rolling hills kick in.  I was running with Mr Sharkie and a fellow CARA runner, so the miles were ticking away.  Finished 5k feeling strong, and kept on moving.

Miles 4-6:  remembered why you use a port a potty before the race, if the port a potty lines at the start weren't ridiculous.  Killed about 10 minutes in a port a potty line, watched some people pee in some vineyard (it's organic, right), and kept on trucking.  Super interesting conversation happening around us.  Mostly involving runners declaring that this was the furthest they had run ever.

Miles 7-9: we were told before the race that there would be a wine stop.  Everyone starts talking about the wine stop.  I'm mostly shopping for Sonoma houses at this point (gorgeous!!), but could get on board with some wine.  Oh, and there are alpaca for sale!  Still rolling hills.  Also, the sun is starting to peek out.  But not too hot yet.

Miles 10-12: At the top of yet another hill.  I hear someone yell something about Guinness.  And ice cold.  Yeah.  I stopped and had a shot of Guinness in the middle of a half marathon.  And it was delicious!  It sat weird for about 30 seconds, and then everything was OK.  And then about a mile later there was wine!  And it was delicious!
Wine while running is surprisingly delicious!
 I specifically remember tossing the phrase YOLO around a lot during this stretch.  This race pulls into downtown Sonoma around mile 12 or so when you run through a cute little park, then it's two turns and:

Mile 13-13.1: After a REALLY long straightaway towards the world's biggest American flag, you reach the finish line, get your wine glass, and go to taste really terrible wine!  No.  It's really terrible.  And you have to wait in huge lines to drink it.

Finish time:  Oh right.  Back to wondering why I had a bib chip and a shoe chip.  I ran with both, and still don't seem to have an official time.  So we're going to go with my nike plus watch time of 2:30:49, even though I paused it for bathroom breaks.  But I know I finished cause I have a medal, and multiple pictures of me on the course!

Would I do it again?  Heck yes!  This race is worth the trip to wine country.  One of the prettiest runs I've ever done, and a great little vacation spot.

I'm actually curious enough to check out the rest of the wine country races.

Next up: Madison Mini!




2 comments:

  1. I ran this race in 2010! It's definitely a great vacation race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! And thanks for stopping by! 2010 was my other running of Napa to Sonoma. So much fun!! Any other vacation races I need to check out? I'm all about adding a little run to my vacation.

      Delete